Friday, December 4, 2009

Twenty-five days of Christmas: Day #4



Impractical Practical


I’m quite obsessed with the idea of giving an everyday item made by a luxury brand. My sister-in-law Erin has a Tiffany key ring and I’ve always thought it’s the most elegant touch — a really nice way to touch a piece of luxury every day. Here are my picks:


Return to Tiffany oval tag key ring in sterling silver, $170. Giving a gift from Tiffany&Co. is always a big hit at Christmas. The box alone is worth the purchase, but it’s what inside that counts. This key ring is perfect for a man or a woman, and will last a lifetime. To make it extra special, engrave the tag with a little message or initials.





The Africa I Continental porcelain mug by Hermès, $155. Several years ago a friend gave me a beautiful Denby mug and I’ve used it every day of my life ever since. I think it’s my most-used belonging and I intend to drink my coffee from it forever. If you know someone who loves coffee or tea just as much as they love high stye this is the perfect gift. Chances are the mug will become part of a morning tradition and he or she will think of you fondly with every sip. I love this Hermès mug. It’s exotic and cheerful — a real pick-me-up on those dark winter mornings.





Louis Vuitton Damier Graphite USB Key, $465. Let’s face it, the world has gone high-tech and sometimes it can be hard to look fabulous while fiddling with gadgets and electronics. I have the perfect solution, though. If you know somebody who is constantly flitting around giving powerpoint presentations and transferring files to who knows who, this Louis Vuitton-made USB key is the perfect gift. I like to think of it as having 4 gigabytes of storage and style. I love that it incorporates LV’s iconic Damier Graphite signature — I also love that it features a screw top, so it can be fastened to a purse, bag or briefcase. See? Gadgets can be glam, not geeky.





Smythson of Bond Street ‘Address and Telephone’ Premier Book, £77. If you’re inclined to give a decidedly lower-tech gift than the Louis Vuitton USB key, perhaps an exquisite address book by Smythson of Bond Street is the perfect choice. I like the idea of having a permanent address book on hand. While I still keep an electronic version on my iPhone, there is something special about flipping though these pale blue featherweight pages when you want to send a card or a gift, or call an old friend. How do I know this? I have this exact item and I know for a fact almost anyone would be thrilled to get it. Smythson is one of those subtly luxurious brands that exudes sophistication without screaming it.





I could probably go on and on. Part of the fun of shopping with this theme in mind is going into amazing stores and looking for the unexpected. I think, though, that the bottom line is quality. Look for items that will stand the test of time so the recipient will be able to use them for years to come. Have you ever received or given an impractical practical gift?


For more information about the items I mentioned (or to get inspiration for other gifts) go to:


www.tiffany.ca; 1-800-265-1251


1 comment:

Natalie said...

Okay, you know that I'm already partial to Tiffany's so I'm right with you there. However, the Hermes mug is absolutely brilliant. How happy would I be drinking my favourite beverage from an Hermes mug?!? Now, I need to find someone to buy it for me. ;)