Friday, December 11, 2009

Twenty-five days of Christmas: Day #10



The Ultimate Shave


Men are the HARDEST demographic to shop for. Kids will actually make lists of things they want for Christmas and women usually long for certain items and make subtle hints, but men? Men are stone cold. How many hours are wasted at the mall trying to match a gift to the man? Gift cards are usually the answer, but this year why don’t you get him my fail-proof gift? The Ultimate Shave!


This is one of those gifts that takes a humdrum routine and transforms it into something special. And truth be known, if the man you’re shopping for actually shaves with a razor (meaning he doesn’t have a full beard or use an electric razor), he will appreciate this gift very much and actually use it every day.


The key to a good shave is obviously the razor. Nothing beats Gillette in this field. I remember the days when they introduced the twin blade. It was so revolutionary, I didn’t know how it could be improved upon. Well, eventually they released the triple blade and now the latest is the Gillette Fusion Power Phenom:





Luckily the razor lives up to its mega-name. It features five blades, a precision trimmer for sideburns AND it vibrates. I was skeptical of the vibration thing, but low and behold it really works. The vibration decreases friction on the skin resulting in a smoother, less irritating shave.


The blade lasts for several shaves, which is a good thing since they tend to be quite expensive... making this an even better gift idea. Why not give him enough blades to last a whole year? I know I'd appreciate that. Just don't try to check them in your carry-on baggage.


Of course the best razor blade deserves the best shaving cream. My pick is Kiehl’s Close-Shavers Squadron in either Blue Eagle or White Eagle formulae:





White Eagle contains menthol and camphor to give the skin a cooling effect. I prefer the Blue Eagle formula, which is fragrance free and contains aloe for sensitive skin. I’m not sure what it is about these products that results in a perfect shave, but the proof is in the pudding so to speak. I have used a plethora of other products and these ones stand head and shoulders above the rest in terms of comfort and effectiveness. Note: Kiehl’s boutiques often prepackage really nice gift sets for men, women and kids during the holidays.


If your man uses aftershave, I recommend ClarinsMen After Shave Energizer:






I’ve always been a big fan of Clarins and their mens products are really amazing. This after shave soothes razor burn and leaves behind a non-offensive citrus scent (I really hate those generic manly smells drugstore products have). But perhaps the thing I like most about the After Shave Energizer is its old-school glass bottle. Looks really good beside the sink.


Have I missed anything? Are there any elements to the perfect shave that I forgot? I figured this post is definitely gender specific — could you imagine the disaster if you got the woman in your life a gift themed “The Ultimate Shave?” The horror!