Monday, December 14, 2009

Twenty-five days of Christmas: Day #13



Dainties


Every year my mom would ask her three wise boys what their favorite Christmas treats were. I would always request her wonderful butterscotch marshmallow squares. They are so simple and so amazing. As I grew older I garnered an appreciation for her shortbread as well — they are whipped and melt in your mouth! I’ve decided to share her recipes with you (there are two other ones included here, a yummy popcorn cake and no bake date cookies). In Saskatchewan we call the following recipes dainties. They’re not quite desserts, yet more than merely snacks. They’re dainties. These recipes would make even Jean Pare blush.


Butterscotch Marshmallow Squares

1/4 cup marg or butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup butterscotch chips 
1 bag small coloured marshmallows 


Melt butter and peanut butter in a large saucepan over low heat. stir in chips until melted. Cool until you can hold your hand on the bottom of pot. Add marshmallows and stir until coated. Pack in 9x9 pan lined with wax paper. Refrigerate to set.


Whipped Shortbread


1 lb butter
1/2 cup cornstarch
3 cups flour
1 cup icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla


Cream butter well with electric mixer, add vanilla. Mix in sugar, flour and cornstarch. Continue to beat with until the consistency of whipped cream. Drop from teaspoon onto greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 12 minutes — but watch them carefully because they will burn easily.


Fantasy Cake


1 cup butter
1 bag marshmallows
2 quarts popped corn (place in a deep baking dish and keep warm in 250 oven until ready to use)
1 cup peanuts
1 cup m&m's or smarties (I prefer smarties)
1 cup gumdrops


In large saucepan, melt butter and marshmallows together over low heat (be careful not to overheat). In deep bowl, mix all dry ingredients together. Pour marshmallow mixture over ingredients. Stir well. Pack in an 8 inch square baking dish, cool and cut in squares.


Frying Pan Cookies


2 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup dates
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup coconut, 1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp almond flavouring


Mix in order given and place in a well-greased frying pan. Cook for 20 minutes, until thick. Remove from heat and add 2 cups Rice Krispies. Cool and roll into balls, then in coconut.


These are simple crowd pleaser. This year my mom and I are going to make them all and take them to Vernon to have on hand as we visit my brother and his family. I want my niece and nephew to garner an appreciation for these time-tested family favorites. What dainty (you have to use the terminology) do you most crave at Christmas?


p.s. I’ll post pictures of our results.

2 comments:

Kendra said...

Grammy always made butterscotch marshmallow squares for me too! She knew they were my favorite :)
I also really loved her lemon loaf it was divine!
I have a MEAN recipe for nanaimo bars I will have to share with you.

Ricky said...

Kendra, you're an amazing, amazing cook. I also love the almond cookies you did a few years ago. I need that recipe too! I'll be home on Thursday!!! Let's hang out asap.