Monday, December 14, 2009

Twenty-five days of Christmas: Day #12



Diabetic’s Christmas


In honour of my popular Christmas chocolate blog, I would like to post a song my friend Cecile Butt and I wrote about the angst of having type one diabetes during the holidays (she has it, not me). If anyone is baffled at the arrangement I dreamt up one chilly night in a Garageband haze, it is made to sound like I’m accompanying Cecile on my childhood Yamaha Electone Organ.


Here are the lyrics:


Christmastime is just around the bend
Time for gathering with family and friends
They stop by with candies and cakes
With hopes that everyone will partake


But there’s one thing they should know for my sake


Candy canes and Christmas puddings are fun
But not when your glycemic index is 12.1
Stockings really lose their appeal
When the candy inside isn’t real


I’d watch my sister eating Ferrero Rochers
And I’d get the Planters Peanuts and a bag of Lays
Give sugar plum faeries and gingerbread men
Made with Splenda, you’ll lose all your friends


I had a dream that I was just like any other girl
I ate some chocolate cake and washed it down with chocolate milk
And polished off a candy apple
Then I ate a box of Fudgee Os
Then I downed a pint of Häagen-Dazs
It was caramel cone explosion.
Candy. Sugar. Chocolate. I want candy


I get up it’s almost three I realize I have to pee
I’m cranky and I’m so thirsty
The night light’s on, what do I see?
It’s old St. Nick in front of me saying, 
“Watch your sugars, my dear Cece!”


Sixteen years have passed since that fateful night
I’m beginning to think that something wasn’t right
That man I saw wasn’t Mr. Claus
It was just my dad pointing out all my flaws


If you are a guest this Christmas Eve.
Take my advice and save yourself lots of grief
Before you pack all those sugary treat
Please check if your hostess has diabetes


Ahh, now we can all sit down and eat in peace

2 comments:

Kendra said...

I thought that song was a version you guys re-did! haha that's hilarious :)
I understand how hard it must be through the holidays, a girl I work with actually has an allergy to sugar so I baked her some goodies without sugar in them so she could feel like she was eating naughty too this year!

Ricky said...

Allergic to SUGAR??? Wow, is she super skinny?