Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Twenty-five days of Christmas: Day #2



Music


I think December 2nd is a perfect day to pull out your old Christmas CDs and perhaps consider buying a few new ones too. I have a special love of Christmas music — last year my friend Cecile Butt and I made a little recording that we sold to family and friends to benefit two of our most-loved charities, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation Canada and BC Children's Hospital. On the sidebar to the right I've uploaded a song Cecile and I wrote called Wintertime is Here. Enjoy!





My favorite Christmas CD of all time is Amy Grant’s 1983 classic A Christmas Album. It is the right blend of traditional and contemporary. The arrangements are creative and ambitious in a classy 1980s kind of way and Amy Grant’s vocals are really comforting. (I secretly rock out to Emmanuel, the album’s synthesized pop rock cut.)





Another Christmas album that perennially pops up on my playlists this time of year is Jewel’s Joy: A Holiday Collection. She really goes full-out on this album — strings choirs, brass sections and a rousing Christmas version of Hands. Make it be known, I think Christmas music should be over-the-top and dramatic. Apparently Jewel feels the same way too.





I also really love Michael W. Smith’s 1989 album Christmas. It’s really hard to find, but if you can get your hands on it you’ll be very pleased. The production value is very grandiose and top notch (which I love). And there is something really charming about the fact that MWS can’t sing very well, especially when he’s being accompanied by a boy’s choir and symphony orchestra replete with timpani and electric guitars.





Of course every artist makes a Christmas album sooner or later. How do I know this is true? Because this year Tori Amos released Midwinter Graces. I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw that she was recording a seasonal album, but I was also very excited to hear the results. I bought the album the day it dropped and it’s been on repeat ever since. It’s beautifully made and very refreshing when compared to more religious fare like Amy Grant or Michael W. Smith. Christmas means something different to everyone, and more than likely it’s a special time of year to most people. Even Tori Amos!





Rounding out my top holiday music must-haves are two of the most spectacular works of classical music, Handel's Messiah and The Nutcracker by Tchaikovsky. These two pieces are absolutely magical. And I think the world agrees with me on that one. Need I say more?


Ok, I can’t resist. O Holy Night is my favorite carol of all time. I've posted my version on the sidebar to the right.


What music do you love to listen to during the holidays?




5 comments:

Annie Murphy said...

How did you manage to leave out Boney M's aptly named Christmas album "Christmas Album?" Their tight harmonies on "Mary's Boy Child/Oh My Lord" far supersedes anything Destiny's Child could produce.

Anonymous said...

How could I have excluded Boney M! Rest assured, this was not an intentional omission, Annie M. I have to add that Barbra Streisand's rousingly frantic rendition of "Jingle Bells" should have also been included... And Kathleen's version of "Silver Bells."

Kim said...

Oh Amy....so much joy and so much bad 80's hair :)
You know I secretly hate her :)

Natalie said...

Kim, Kim, Kim...how can you hate Amy?!?

Cynthia said...

My favourite album is still Amy Grant's "Home for Christmas". Kevin just rolls his eyes every year when I pull it out.