Saturday, June 5, 2010

I Love Buffy Sainte-Marie

I can think of no other artist whose music is so honest, raw and original. In my opinion, Buffy Sainte-Marie deserves icon status right up there with the grand dames of diva-dom.

When I was a teenager I listened to music as if I were an active participant in the creation of the sound. It meant so much to me—possibly because the experience was as much a self discovery–process as simply an aural one.
I don’t know when my undivided attention to music tuned out, even if there have been bright spots along the way (Robyn, Tori Amos, Regina Spektor, Feist, Carla Bruni—KATE BUSH); however, Buffy reinvigorated my sense of music and discovery. It’s been quite a challenge to round up her old recordings, but little by little I’m getting it done. Look at some of her stunning album art:






It is hard to describe Buffy Sainte-Marie’s style. At any rate, it’s progressive, odd, political and original. Born in Saskatchewan on the Piapot Reserve, she was raised by distant relatives in the US and gained prominence as a singer-songwriter during the folk movement of the ‘60s. Perhaps this is where my affinity for her music comes from: a genetic attachment to Saskatchewan. 

I think I started to cry when I first heard her song “Qu’appelle Valley, Saskatchewan.” It’s as if the lyrics are my own. It makes me homesick. Here’s a challenge to my Saskatchewan-born readers, listen to this song and tell me if it doesn’t capture the feeling you get when you enter the valley:

Perhaps the most intriguing aspect of Sainte-Marie’s career is her ever-evolving style—she is able to transcend genres and be a pop star, folk-scene mover and shaker, educator, activist, American, Canadian, painter, singer/songwriter, and probably lots more. Her song “Universal Soldier” became an anti-war anthem of the ‘60s, yet her song “Till It’s Time For You To Go” —which was written in the same era— became a standard for Elvis Presley, Barbra Streisand and Cher. She took a 16-year hiatus from recording after her 1976 album Sweet America, however during that hiatus she won an Academy Award for writing “Up Where We Belong” for An Officer and a Gentleman.

Here’s my dream Buffy Sainte-Marie playlist (most songs are available on iTunes):
  • “Now That The Buffalo’s Gone,” It’s My Way (1964) This song packs so much information into just a few minutes. I challenge you to listen to it and not be outraged at the treatment of aboriginal people in North America.
  • “It’s My Way,” It’s My Way (1964)
  • “Until It’s Time for You To Go,” Many a Mile (1965)
  • “Little Wheel Spin and Spin,” Little Wheel Spin and Spin (1966)
  • “My Country ‘Tis of thy People You’re Dying,” Little Wheel Spin and Spin (1966)
  • “Summer Boy,” Fire & Fleet & Candlelight (1967)
  • “97 Men in This Here Town Would Give Half a Grand in Silver” Fire & Fleet & Candlelight (1967)
  • “Lyke Wake Dirge,” Fire & Fleet & Candlelight (1967) This arrangement just goes to prove that Buffy is a touch crazy. It’s wacky, and very trippy at the same time—hard to believe it was recorded in the mid-1960s.
  • “I’m Gonna Be a Country Girl Again,” I’m Gonna Be a Country Girl Again (1968) Perhaps one of the best country songs ever written. I can’t believe it hasn’t been covered!
  • “The Piney Wood Hills,” I’m Gonna Be a Country Girl Again (1968)
  • “God is Alive, Magic is Afoot,” Illuminations (1969) Apparently Buffy simply freestyled the guitar arrangement while singing the lyrics to this Leonard Cohen poem. It’s truly one-of-a-kind.
  • “Better To Find Out For Yourself,” Illuminations (1969)
  • “Adam,” Illuminations (1969)
  • “She Used To Wanna Be a Ballerina,” She Used To Wanna Be a Ballerina (1971)
  • “Song of the French Partisan,” She Used To Wanna Be a Ballerina (1971)
  • “Now You’ve Been Gone for a Long Time,” She Used To Wanna Be a Ballerina (1969) The emotion in her voice in this recording is astounding. In the last refrain she slows down her vibrato to sync with the rhythm of the song—unusual and effective.
  • “He’s an Indian Cowboy in the Rodeo,” Moonshot (1972)
  • “Moonshot,” Moonshot (1972) Perhaps the most beautiful strings arrangement ever recorded.
  • “Native North American Child,” Moonshot (1972)
  • “For Free,” Quiet Places (1973)
  • “Just That Kind of Man,” Quiet Places (1973) This song really captures that enraptured feeling you get when you’re in a very robust physical relationship.
  • “The Jewels of Hannalei,” Quiet Places (1973)
  • “Can’t Believe the Feeling When You’re Gone,” Buffy (1974)
  • “I’ve Really Fallen For You,” Buffy (1974)
  • “(Hong Kong) Star Boy,” Buffy (1974)
  • “Can’t You See The Way I Love You,” Changing Woman (1975) Listen to this song on headphones if possible; the vocal recording is amazing. And the lyrics: “Pheasant wings I sew to every memory; Every place you've touched me is embroidery." Wow!
  • “Mongrel Pup,” Changing Woman (1975)
  • “All Around The World,” Changing Woman (1975)
  • “Sweet America,” Sweet America (1976)
  • “Look At The Facts,” Sweet America (1976)
  • “Sweet January,” Sweet America (1976)
  • “Qu’appelle Valley, Saskatchewan,” Sweet America (1976) Perhaps the best song ever?
  • “I Been Down,” Sweet America (1975)
  • “Starwalker,” Coincidences and Likely Stories (1992) I like this version better than the one on Sweet America. So much energy!
  • “The Priests of the Golden Bull,” Coincidences and Likely Stories (1992)
  • “Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee,” Coincidences and Likely Stories (1992) I get a lump in my throat every time I listen to this song. I think it's one of her best.
  • “To the Ends of the World,” Running for the Drum (2009) I am planning on making a cover of this song. It's an instant classic, almost Morrissey-esque.
  • “Still This Love Goes On,” Running for the Drum (2009)

Buffy Sainte-Marie was honoured last week with a Governor General’s Award for the Arts. I can think of nobody more deserving of this honour. And at age 68, she looks better than ever! PLEASE MAKE SEVERAL MORE ALBUMS, BUFFY!



6 comments:

Ann Rogers said...

Ricky,

I listened to Buffy Ste. Marie as a teenager in western Pennsylvania in the mid-1960s. Her lyrics and harmonies provided a framework for the development of my psyche. I have many of the albums that are illustrated on your blog. I agree with you that she deserves recognition of the highest order.

One day we will wake to realize that a great age has passed in which certain types of freedom were allowed that we don't have now. Those freedoms were gainfully explored by artists of exceptional genius such as Buffy. Following her music trail leads both to exultation and a solemn nostalgia.

One day I will visit Qu'Appelle Valley in Saskatchewan. I would like to see the place where the wandering Buffy's heart has a home.

Thank you for creating this web presence for Buffy.

Ann in Roanoke, VA

Ricky said...

Thank you so much for your amazing comment, Ann. If you ever make it to the valley, let me know. I am from Saskatchewan and I can help you plan your trip!

Do you have Buffy's latest album? She's in good form!!

Unknown said...

Ricky,

I haven't got her latest, but will get it ASAP.

Having your assistance in planning a trip to Saskatchewan would be most interesting. Thank you, what a very kind offer. I just earned a degree (via distance learning) from Dominion Herbal College in Burnaby, BC. I will keep your offer in mind when planning my first expedition to visit the College!

How is your weather up there? Hope you are enjoying the season.

Ann

QC said...

Buffy Sainte Marie...ah! The best!
I have seen no one in my life time maintain the musical and moral standards that Buffy Sainte Marie has in her public life. Her music always has substance in it, and the lyrics worth reading on their own.
The best!
Nick in Quebec City

windbeam said...

I found her music in the 60's as did most others. I was absolutely captivated as she just flat out touched my soul. Later in the 70', I learned just how many songs she wrote that were hits by other people.Songs like "Love lift us up where we belong" and Donovan's hit of "Universal Soldier". Hey, can you say Sesame Street?

windbeam said...

I found her music in the 60's as did most others. I was absolutely captivated as she just flat out touched my soul. Later in the 70', I learned just how many songs she wrote that were hits by other people.Songs like "Love lift us up where we belong" and Donovan's hit of "Universal Soldier". Hey, can you say Sesame Street?