Friday, June 4, 2010

Current Obsession: Panna Cotta in a Fancy Cup

Welcome to my latest obsession: Panna cotta. I made this delectable dessert last night. For some reason I doubled the recipe and ran out of ramekins, so I reached for whatever other vessel I had available. Luckily my roommate J owns two almost Rococo tea cups. What a perfect combo—a rich dessert in a gilded cup.

For those of you who’ve never made panna cotta, it truly is the most elegant and easy-to-make dessert in the world. I served mine with basil puree and rhubarb sorbet, however it goes with just about anything (chocolate, any fruit, caramel, etc.) Here is the recipe I used:
3 cups heavy cream
1 package of gelatin
1 vanilla bean
In a medium sauce pan, sprinkle gelatin over one cup of the cream and let stand for five minutes. Turn the heat to low and stir the mixture until the gelatin completely dissolves (3-5 minutes). Add the rest of the cream and the vanilla bean (scraped out seeds plus the bean) and continue to stir over medium heat until steam begins to rise from the mixture. At this point, remove from heat and let steep for 30 minutes. (The top might set up a bit during this time, so give the mixture the occasional stir.) Transfer to ramekins and refridgerate until firm. And enjoy!

No comments: