Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Everybody looks good in white!



I’d like to devote this post to a wonderful charity that I think my readers should be aware of. It seems that every year a major catastrophe makes us sit up and take notice of how fragile the world is. In 2004 it was the tsunami in Thailand and this year the earthquake in Haiti. As a Canadian sitting back in the comfort of a middle-class existence, sometimes it’s hard to empathize. Sympathy comes much easier.


As you give generously to the relief efforts in Haiti, please consider another charity that will affect people much closer to home — Wear White 4 Windfall. 





Each year this anti-poverty and public awareness campaign collects and delivers NEW clothes and essential items and delivers them to people in the Greater Toronto Area who need them most. I’m sure there’s no need to mention that poverty affects people all over the world, but maybe we need to be reminded that could be affecting your neighbour or friend.


On January 28, Wear White 4 Windfall encourages all Torontonians to wear white and donate $4 dollars to the charity. It’s a small way to make a big difference to people in need. 


There are several other ways to show your support. Daniel Espinosa designed an exquisite sterling silver charm especially for this year’s campaign. 





It can be purchased for $24 and is available at the Daniel Espinosa store at 21 Avenue Road or at ww4w.ca.


If you’re wondering what piece of white clothing you could wear on January 28, Canadian designer Franco Mirabelli provides a fitting option — a chic white tee-shirt.





Here’s a picture of Jonathan and me at the poster and charm launch party at the Daniel Espinosa boutique in Yorkville. 





I thought it would be fitting to wear white for the occasion. And, of course, nobody else did. I’ve also cropped the photo because even after all these years of having my picture taken at events, I still don’t know how to pose. I stood with my hands hanging like dead weights facing the camera dead on. But this isn’t about me... it’s about WW4W!


For more information please visit ww4w.ca

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Great post. And great looking picture of you and Jon!

Our choir is participating in a benefit concert for Haiti tomorrow night. It'll be good to feel like I'm making a contribution...so hard to hear about and see the destruction and suffering.